RCS Corporation has an immediate need for a Materials Engineer for our client in the Bellevue, WA area. This is a 1-year Contract Opportunity with the possibility of extension.
Who We Are
RCS Corporation is a certified Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) specializing in the recruitment of professionals for best-of-class companies throughout the United States. Since 1994, RCS recruits top talent for direct hire, temp-to-perm and contract staffing positions and provides customized payroll services. Our Recruiting Specialties consist of all Engineering Disciplines, Project Management, Project Controls, Information Technology, Energy Efficiency and Business Professionals.
Our client is seeking a highly motivated Materials Engineer to support the engineering efforts of the Materials and Chemistry Discipline team. This role will work as part of a high functioning team of engineers focused on materials processing, supply chain development and supplier qualification for next generation material and components for sodium cooled fast reactors. You will be responsible for consolidating material property data from a variety of published sources as well as internal testing programs, building material property correlations and material performance models, maintaining the materials database and material design handbook, and qualifying data for use in design and licensing the Natrium reactor.
- Interface with various project teams to provide material selection guidance for TerraPower’s reactor development programs
- Consolidate material property data from a variety of published sources as well as internal testing programs
- Use fundamental materials engineering principles to develop material property correlations and material performance models as input for reactor design and licensing
- Update and maintain a Python-based material database as well as associated design handbooks for Natrium
- Perform Qualification of Existing Data per ASME NQA-1-2015
- Inform materials test programs to validate models of material performance and ensure materials development and testing efforts meet programmatic objectives of the Natrium reactor
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience with a B.S. degree; or an advanced degree with related experience, or equivalent experience. A degree in Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline is desired.
- Experience developing material data correlations, design allowables, or material performance models
- Familiarity with Python, particularly YAML files for data input
- A basic understanding of complex mechanical phenomena (e.g., creep, fatigue, creep fatigue, stress corrosion cracking, and fracture) in high temperature systems
- A solid understanding of metallurgy including fabrication and thermomechanical processing of ferrous (e.g., ferritic-martensitic steels) and nonferrous (e.g., nickel-base) alloys
- Working knowledge of ASME Section III, Div. 5 is desirable but not required
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
RCS is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. RCS recruits, hires, and promotes for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, genetic information or age. All terms and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, work assignment, availability of facilities and privileges of employment are administered on the same basis of equality.