RCS Corporation has an immediate need for a Materials Engineer for our client in the Everett, WA area. This is a 1-year contract opportunity with the potential of extension.
Who We Are
RCS Corporation is a certified Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) specializing in the recruitment of professionals for best-of-class companies throughout the United States. Since 1994, RCS recruits top talent for direct hire, temp-to-perm and contract staffing positions and provides customized payroll services. Our Recruiting Specialties consist of all Engineering Disciplines, Project Management, Project Controls, Information Technology, Energy Efficiency and Business Professionals.
Our client is seeking to contract with a highly capable and motivated Materials Engineer to support the engineering efforts of the Materials and Chemistry Discipline team. This role will work as part of a high functioning team of engineers focused on materials processing, supply chain development and supplier qualification for next generation material and components for sodium cooled fast reactors. You will be responsible for a wide range of materials development and testing activities in a laboratory environment. A primary function of this role will be to act as custodian of laboratory equipment and materials, and to perform a wide range of materials testing and characterization in support of the Natrium reactor design.
- Perform a wide range laboratory-based materials development experiments to support the client’s initiatives including the reactor
- Generate test reports documenting tribology tests and resulting data to document new knowledge related to reactor design and qualification
- Act as the custodian for laboratory equipment (e.g., furnaces, polishing equipment, metallography equipment, SEM-EDS), developing procedures and training users to the procedures
- Perform SEM-EDS characterization of a wide range of materials issues
- Assist with the design, fabrication, and operation of custom laboratory experiments
- Perform formal receipt inspections of incoming materials, update inventory, and physically maintain the controlled material storage area
Key Qualifications and Skills
- A B.S. degree; or an advanced degree with related experience, or equivalent experience. A degree in Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline is desired.
- Demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience is required
- Lab management experience (e.g., maintaining spaces and/or equipment and training users) is preferred but not required
- SEM-EDS experience is required
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant’s ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work in a laboratory setting with fluctuating temperatures
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
RCS is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. RCS recruits, hires, and promotes for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, genetic information or age. All terms and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, work assignment, availability of facilities and privileges of employment are administered on the same basis of equality.