RCS Corporation has an immediate need for a Nuclear Shielding Engineer for our client in the Bellevue, WA area.
Who We Are
RCS Corporation is a certified Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) specializing in the recruitment of professionals for best-of-class companies throughout the United States. Since 1994, RCS recruits top talent for direct hire, temp-to-perm and contract staffing positions and provides customized payroll services. Our Recruiting Specialties consist of all Engineering Disciplines, Project Management, Project Controls, Information Technology, Energy Efficiency and Business Professionals.
- Perform radiation shielding design and analysis for advanced nuclear reactors and medical isotopes separations facility, including calculating dose, activation rates, half thicknesses, DPA rates, energy deposition rates and gas production rates.
- Develop radiation source term based on materials activation analysis for non-fuel in-vessel components.
- Design and analyze new systems for solving complex problems.
- Design and execute sensitivity studies to understand the effects and validity of various modeling assumptions, including model geometry complexity, meshing, variance reduction techniques, transport options, cross section preparation, etc., and help build corrected methods if necessary.
- Establish and maintain documentation of analysis results and radiation shielding design solutions.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. degree in Nuclear Engineering or equivalent experience; Advanced degree and 2+ years of relevant experience with nuclear analysis preferred.
- Knowledgeable or highly motivated to quickly learn basic nuclear reactor design concepts to meaningfully support engineering team with understanding of systems being designed and code being reviewed.
- Experience in core and/or radiation shielding design and analysis.
- Experience in criticality safety.
- Strong computational expertise.
- Advanced experience with performing radiation shielding calculations for both gammas and neutrons using MCNP.
- Candidate should be familiar with variance reduction and using MCNP, and features such as surface source read/write, mesh tallies, and weight windows.
- Experience with Attila /Attila4MC and computed aided drafting (e.g., SolidWorks, SpaceClaim/ANSYS, Cubit) is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of nuclear and/or general numerical methods (e.g., activation analysis, dose rates, PDEs, dynamics, deterministic and stochastic particle transport, isotopic depletion, nuclear data, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Ability and professionalism to work within published regulatory guidelines for nuclear reactor design.
- Fast reactor experience preferred.
- An ability to perform professional-quality software development for nuclear applications is preferred.
- Strong programming skills in any language is a plus, but bonus points will be awarded for Python, Git, C++, and Fortran skills.
- Experience working under NQA-1 quality program desired.
- Maintain software by working with team to implement clearly defined enhancement requests and bug fixes.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect, and a desire to foster teamwork.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%