RCS Corporation has an immediate need for a Senior Fuel Handling System Design Engineer for our client in the Bellevue, WA area.
Who We Are
RCS Corporation is a certified Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) specializing in the recruitment of professionals for best-of-class companies throughout the United States. Since 1994, RCS recruits top talent for direct hire, temp-to-perm and contract staffing positions and provides customized payroll services. Our Recruiting Specialties consist of all Engineering Disciplines, Project Management, Project Controls, Information Technology, Energy Efficiency and Business Professionals.
Our Client is seeking to contract with a highly motivated Fuel Handling System Design Engineer that will focus on the design of primarily mechanical Fuel Handling and process systems. In this role, you will act as a mechanical system design engineer for TerraPower’s advanced nuclear reactor projects in the area of Fuel Handling. The successful candidate will integrate and coordinate with engineers working on interfacing systems. The System Design Engineer will work as part of a high-performing team of engineers and scientists.
- Design of nuclear fuel handling systems and fuel handling sub-systems from requirements through final design.
- Coordinate the review of analyses, such as thermal, seismic, structural, pipe stress, heat transfer, and other analyses performed by others and integrate the results into plant design delivery.
- Identify and ensure effective application of correct design codes into the design of plant systems such as ASME, ANS, ASTM, IEEE, NFPA, etc.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineers in applicable nuclear and non-nuclear related design standards.
- Analyze and allocate regulatory criteria and standards to complex mechanical and process system design.
- Support planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities within a system, as well as their integration with an overall plant design delivery schedule.
- Interface with the design team to create and manage drawing packages of system designs, including but not limited to Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), 3D models, and system interface drawings.
- Interface with design disciplines (such as mechanical, instrumentation and controls, civil, and nuclear) to identify and develop plant design information and specify system design and performance criteria.
- Provide technical direction and oversight of supplier projects, working with the contract administrator to ensure delivery of data and other deliverables, as well as coordination and performance of technical reviews of deliverables.
- Establish and maintain system requirements and specification documents, such as Engineering Design Specifications for major plant equipment.
- Propose and initiate testing programs for plant system qualification, as needed.
- Provide Support and oversight during test execution, evaluation of test results, and reporting of test results.
- Generate design package for systems, sub-systems, and equipment designs including coordination of calculations, design reports, mechanical drawings, and engineering design specifications.
- Develop and review technical design documents, such as System Design Descriptions, Interface Control Documents, Engineering Design Specifications, etc.
- Interface with and support licensing activities associated with Safety Analysis Reports.
- Support design reviews as plant system and subsystem designs are established and refined.
- B.S. in Mechanical or related discipline from an accredited university and 5+ years direct experience with proven mechanical systems skills.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of complex mechanical systems, structures and equipment, particularly nuclear fuel handling systems.
- Experience in high temperature and multi-discipline integration highly desired.
- Previous experience with nuclear reactors, nuclear fuel handling process systems, or similar high-performance system or equipment design is required.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on simultaneous tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities, such as ASME NQA-1 or ISO 9001.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
RCS is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. RCS recruits, hires, and promotes for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, genetic information or age. All terms and conditions of employment such as compensation, benefits, work assignment, availability of facilities and privileges of employment are administered on the same basis of equality.